Tuesday, 9 June 2009

Background

Dorset is a beautiful county in England and last year I started taking my camera on walks and bike rides. In the Autumn of 2008 I bought a digital slr to take pictures of wildlife (very much harder than I realised) and of the changing seasons. In the spring of 2009 the wild garlic grew and I learned that it is an edible plant, and wild garlic really does add flavour to food. At the same time I began to realise that plants make interesting photos particularly in different light conditions. The picture left shows the beautiful warm morning light in spring.

I've always found Ray Mears TV programs interesting and in order to find out more about wild food I bought his book 'Wild Food' which I highly recommend. Using this book as a guide I am going to photograph and try out wild foods at the same time as continuing to photograph the changing seasons through the year. (in a completely amateur way)

Again drawing on Ray Mears' book there is so much to know and so much that we miss as modern people. I live in a very rural area and I still miss most of what goes on in the countryside and I want to learn more skills and more awareness. For example I took some photos of apple blossom and wanted to photograph the change from blossom to apples but didn't follow it though. In the past lots of people would know how changes like this happen. OK I missed apple blossom this year but I'm not going to miss bramble blosson turning into blackberries.

No comments:

Post a Comment