Thursday, 24 September 2009

Turmeric anti inflamatory, pain reliever, mild mood enhancer


This is an anecdotal note and does not claim any medical significance and I have no medical or even herbal knowledge. I work in pharmaceuticals and as part of my job I need to keep up to date with research projects. It is this that led me to read about anthocyanins and turmeric. There is a lot of information about turmeric so I won't repeat it here. However I decided to try it for myself.


As near as I can ascertain the dose of turmeric for a therapeutic effect is one to eight grams and I estimate a teaspoon full to be about a gram, so Decided to take one gram a day. I have some arthritis in the joints of my feet which ordinary pain killers have no effect on. Right from the start of taking turmeric there was a reduction in pain and in the slight inflammation. The joints can move without grating, in fact almost from the first day the arthritis seemed to improve.

I made up a paste of turmeric and sesame seed oil and applied it directly to the area despite the yellow skin - if it works it is worth temporary skin discolouration. Applying turmeric direct to the affected area had a noticeable effect at pain reduction and a reduction in inflammation. But, there's even better to come.

I was reading that turmeric is difficult for the body to absorb and most of it is passed through the system. I read that black pepper increases the absorption of turmeric. I tried this in a meal last night and will describe something that happened later.

I mixed some ground black pepper into the turmeric sesame seed oil paste. I manipulated the joints before the application and they hurt a bit. Then applied the paste and there was instantaneous and complete pain relief. Not just surface pain relief but instantaneous deep pain relief and I could move the joints with some pressure without any pain. I can say from direct personal experience that turmeric, especially when mixed with ground black pepper is an anti inflammatory pain killer.

I also have a long standing injury to my left shoulder area which gives tingling and some pain. My arm tingles and is uncomfortable when I go to sleep. This problem has completely gone.

I am a 'low level' alcoholic or a social drinker if you like. Every night about 8 o'clock the addictive voice starts prompting me to go to the pub and I have to resist strongly to stay in. I decided to limit my nights in the pub from four/five to two. Last night was a Wednesday and I would normally go to the pub on a Wednesday and I expected a hard time from the addictive voice but last night after the turmeric and black pepper it was still. I even taunted my addictive voice or booze brain to tempt me into going up the pub but it was completely quiet. I felt zero desire for alcohol. I also felt in a very pleasant mood and enjoyed just listening to music.

From my purely anecdotal experience I can say that it would seem that turmeric reduces cravings for alcohol and even acts as a mild mood enhancer.

Well; tonight (Thursday) is one of the nights (the other being Sunday) that I have given myself permission to go to the pub. I had about one and a quarter teaspoons of turmeric with black pepper in my meal earlier, it will be very interesting to see if I do go for a drink or if I stay in. It seems to take an hour or so for turmeric to be absorbed and you can normally tell because the sinuses suddenly start to drain and you get a mild relaxed feeling.
Finally there seems to be no adverse effects at all.

I would estimate that a gram of turmeric is equal to diclofenac as an anti-inflamatory pain killer, this is just anecdotal but at the same time there is no harm in trying. One caution is that turmeric is supposed to be a blood thinner, I am unable to comment, but perhaps it shouldn't be taken in a high dose with blood thinning medication.

1 comment:

  1. I'm trying out turmeric for my psoriasis on my palms and soles. I did more research after starting to take it and it appears that it is also helping my toe infections!! I took it twice yesterday and so far twice today (it says to take 3 times per day on my bottle) and when I woke up after a nap after taking the first turmeric dose for today my toe is much less sore! It was super sore before the nap, sore enough to need narcotics though I don't have access to them so i just "deal" with the pain. I am in the process of trying to get an appointment with another podiatrist to have him/her remove the toenails of my big toes since I keep getting infections (been going on for well over a year now). I hope that the turmeric will help heal my infections. I know it boosts the immune system and is a powerful antioxident. So we'll see. Oh the reason I started this comment was because when I woke up from my nap I had a very strong sense of well being. It was amazing! I feel so comfy and good. It's a nice change. Normally I have no feeling one way or the other due to medications I take for bipolar disorder. It feels good right now to feel good. Hopefully it continues. Right now I see so many benefits of taking turmeric! Even if it doesn't help my psoriasis I will continue taking it. The one I'm using doesn't have black pepper in it though. It's Nature's Way Turmeric Standardized with 95% curcuminoids. Each tablet contains 450mg turmeric extract (root) 95% curcuminoids, turmeric root 50mg. Less than 1 gram carbohydrates. I'm impressed so far with this herb. By the way, I live in the USA and eat a typical american diet. I plan to go gluten-free very soon to see if it also helps my psoriasis and other health problems. I am extremely obese. I hope to lose weight while watching my calories and taking turmeric which I have heard can help with weight loss because it boosts the metabolism. There are apparently a lot of benefits to using or taking this herb. I'm happy for you that you now have a way to reduce or occasionally eliminate your foot pain and that it helps your mild alcoholism. Good for you!! Keep it up!! Your health will improve I'm sure if you reduce your alcohol consumption.

    ReplyDelete