Wednesday, 10 February 2016

A reflection on a meditation in relation to Gnostic Christianity

Years ago I was taught to meditate by a Buddhist monk.

During a meditation I experienced a 'conjoining' or becoming one with God.

Reflecting back on that experience I realise that it was just a step on the way – so to speak.

Although it was an expansive experience the 'God' I conjoined with was an entity.

If I had continued meditation practise I might have gone beyond physical or imagined entities.

I do occasionally practise mindful meditation. I might argue that this keeps a person at the outer edge of meditative practice.

If you concentrate on one thing – breathing for example and when thoughts intrude just let them slip away, rather than observing them, you (with practise) will move into a deeper state.

This note has come from studying contemporary work (Freke & Gandy et al) on early Gnostic Christianity and puzzling on some of the sayings of the person known as Jesus.

If the writer of the allegorical Jesus story (Who we can still call Jesus as we might refer to a character in a story) was asking us to ponder on the mystical and puzzling sayings, this would be a form of Zen meditation.

But at this stage in my study I don't think s/he is. I think the Jesus/author is describing what happens as you move towards what Buddhists would call enlightenment.

I haven't grasped the process yet but I think it is an occidental mix of mindfulness and oriental Buddhist meditative practice.


Apologies if the words practise and practice r grammatically incorrect – this is a koan in itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment